"hypnopaedia" BNW chapter 2
A short documentation of a store-front video installation, edited down from a 2 hour tape which uses found footage and sound to explore issues of mass media and advertising. Examples of news and commercials are juxtaposed with dialogue from documentaries about mind-control, drug testing, media, and hypnosis.
Scenes from (opens in new window)
Questions for Writing
1) What is "hypnopaedia" in BNW and what is its purpose? How does this video echo "hypnopaedia"?
2) What crucial media feature does "hypnopaedia" lack? Why might Huxley have overlooked this?
3) Discuss specific images in the video and their possible meaning.
4) What is the physiological effect of flashing light on the brain?
5) Read chapters 4 & 6 in Huxley's Brave New World Revisited and discuss their relevance to this video.
|©2010 - About Us - Blog - Site Map - Contact Us|