Questions for Chapter V
1) What is the significance of the Slough Crematorium and what does this reveal about BNW?
2) Henry Foster quotes a BNW hypnopaedic maxim: "All men are physico-chemically equal." Discuss the meaning of this statement, especially as it compares with the American ideal that 'all men are created equal."
3) Review the various hypnopaedic slogans in this chapter and discuss the purpose of each. Could any of the slogans be considered positive? If so, which ones and how? Make a list of at least 20 sayings or slogans used by advertisers today and note the various ways they are broadcast.
4) Explain the purpose and the details of the Solidarity Service - how does it compare to religious rituals on the Savage Reservation? Do we have similar rituals today?
5) How does the Solidarity Service compare with the "Two Minutes Hate" in Orwell's 1984 ?
6) One of the key issues BNW highlights is the conflict between the states of individuality & community - discuss contemporary attitudes towards each. Does individuality ever become problematic? When & why? Does community ever become unhealthy? When & why? Which state is most frequently encouraged and why?
|©2010 - About Us - Blog - Site Map - Contact Us|