Questions for Chapter I
1) Did you follow any links in this chapter? Which ones? Why? What did you learn?
2) Re-read the first two paragraphs carefully. What information is revealed first and what might this mean? What do you note about the descriptive terms Huxley uses?
3) What do you think of the state motto? “Community, Identity, Stability”? Does its meaning become more sinister at the end of the chapter? Why?
4) Writers can reveal information directly through dialog and narration, or indirectly through scene, setting and action. In this chapter what do we learn about BNW and how do we learn it? Who is speaking? What does he say? What is the significance of the attentive, scribbling students?
5) Humans generally dislike change and seek for “stability” even though we know that change is constant and often healthy. As you read the rest of this novel, consider whether and how our resistance to change can be harmful.