The ABC's of Happiness
"history is bunk" - Mustapha Mond, BNW Chapter 3
In the summer of 2001, the Internet Archive held a contest in which contestents created short films demonstrating why access to history matters. The Internet Archive is sponsored this event in order to promote the use of public-domain materials and therefore support the growing need for digital access to these materials and the role of Libraries in offering that access. Submissions were judged based on creative use of materials (particularly use of public-domain materials), artistic direction and articulate content (please note that parodies are encouraged). Production quality was considered within the technological and time limitations posed by this contest. The following film was the winner.
Questions for Writing
1) How is this anti-war propaganda film demonstration of conditioning techniques used in BNW?
2) What is the etymology of the word "propaganda"? Is all propaganda inherently harmful?
3) How is this film representative of Mustapha Mond's official dismissal of history?
4) Is it important to study history? Why or why not?
5) Would this film likely be shown to citizens of Oceania in Orwell's 1984? Why or why not?
6) Does this film have a valid message? What is it?
Produced: July, 2001 Run Time: 5:00
|©2010 - About Us - Blog - Site Map - Contact Us|